Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Some Very Wise Christmas Advice from a Very Wise Woman....

The following advice comes from a blog I read regularly (there are only two that I read on a regular basis)  This is from Sarah of Cloverlane.  I am not blog saavy enough to know how yet to quickly link her blog into my blog...ofcourse I could figure it out and I have done it before..but it is Christmas for heaven's sakes and I don't have a lot of time to figure it out again.  But, if you google Sarah Cloverlane, you will find it.  And I love her!  She is my cyberspace friend.  She is a sister of the heart... We have very similar ideas about family, children, what matter most in life.  So check her blog out.  


 I post this because this advice has had a profound effect on me this Christmas season so far....  This is very good advice and I thought I would share it.   So here goes...


From Sarah of Cloverlane....



"Slow down and everything you are chasing will come around and catch you." 
(John DePaolo)


"As the mother of five, I am constantly repeating this quote to myself. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of our times, and before I know it, I feel like I've missed all the good stuff...my sweet smelling babies are no longer babies, and my shiny-eyed toddlers are no longer toddlers, my children grow inches every season, my teens slowly morph into adults. 
I need the reminder of how important it is to do less, and live more. I've had too many elderly ladies, with longing in their eyes, say to me in the grocery store, "It goes too fast."


Here's my goals this Christmas season:

1. To remember IN SPITE OF WHAT EVERY MERCHANDISER BELIEVES, the Christmas season, for me, starts on the first day of Advent. 

2. To stay CENTERED. Not have my heart and mind pulled in every direction by super cute craft ideas, millions of delectable recipes, decorating photos that make me swoon. There is NO way I can try everything, have my house look like a magazine and stay focused on how I really want my heart to feel this Christmas. I promise I will take away ONE new recipe, one new craft idea, and one sweet little addition to my house. THAT'S IT! I will admire the rest...admire, no more. I will remember the traditions that my children love, and also remember that if you add new traditions every year, you will end up with so many they all lose their importance.

3. By the first of December, I will be finished buying almost all the gifts. Before you gasp in surprise, know that I have accomplished this goal for years. I have found, through trial and error, that if I really want to enjoy the TRUE MEANING of the Christmas season, I must not be standing in line, buying, listing, stressed, annoyed, snappy, away from my family at some dreadful store, buying, buying, buying! Barf! I use the month of November, avoid the crowds, shop in peace, and steady and sure, I'm done. December brings silent nights, peace and joy and peace and peace.


4. To keep in mind Christmas pasts...not MY Christmas pasts, but Christmas's really past. When one gift or two was enough. When the season was more about the sweet stuff and less about Walmart. More about crackling fires and crackling record players and sweet anticipation and a family meal... and less about Lights at the Zoo and craft bonanzas, loads of gifts and fancy trees, and a bajillion meaningless family traditions instead of just a couple. I WANT the old-fashioned Christmas...not the new-fangled one.


5. To, like my mother did for us, concentrate 99% of my efforts on the real meaning behind the holiday. To remind them constantly what Christmas really is...that does not mean NO fun...I love the fun stuff, trust me. I think kids need to reminded constantly what we really are celebrating, just to build up a wall of fortitude against the constant barrage of materialisim....or they'll never get to know the sweet stuff!"




See.... good advice!  Merry Christmas one and all!  Focus on the simple joys and relationships with others and make every day Christmas day-Anne





No comments:

Post a Comment